Dear 2020 Web Ranger
MMA, Facebook, Google SA, Film and Publication Board (FPB), MTN, DTPS and Diana Schwarz Attorneys are excited to offer you a spot in the 2020 Web Rangers Programme.
Before you register, please read the following terms and conditions that will help you figure out if you qualify to be part of the 2020 Web Rangers Programme.
Entry into the programme:
- The Web Rangers programme is open to all South African school learners aged between the
ages of 12-17 years old.
- In order to participate in the programme, learners’ parents/guardians must give
permission/consent for learners to form part of the programme.
- Only one submission per learner is allowed.
- Learners who have already been trained as Web Rangers can not re-apply for the 2020 intake.
- At the time of submission, each learner must: (i) be a South Afrcian citizen/legal resident (ii) be
enrolled in a School in South Africa and be of the ages 12-17 years old; (iii) have obtained his or
her parents’ or legal guardians’ permission and have agreed to be bound by these Rules.
- The opening date for receipt of entries from learners is between 1 August 2020, and the closing date for receipt of entries by 30 August 2020, midnight South African Time.
- MMA and partners are not responsible for illegible or incorrectly submitted entries.
- Entries received without a completed Entry Form or without a parent’s or legal guardian’s details will be disqualified
Participation (code of conduct):
1. Learners are expected to attend all training sessions and carry out all programme related activities. Should a learner not complete parts of their online training or not attend WhatsApp meetings within a 3 week period, MMA and partners have the right to expel that learner from the programme.
2. Learners are responsible for upholding their own behaviour and that of their peers while online carrying out Web Ranger related activities, and are therefore expected to report misconduct, or any suspicion thereof, of any kind immediately to their direct superior. Should a learner be found to be involved in any misconduct, MMA and partners have the right to expel that learner from the programme.
*MMA and partners reserves the right to respond as it deems appropriate to action which breaches the Code of Conduct. Possible responses include immediate expulsion from Web Rangers Programme and being reported to your school/third party institution.
The Campaign competition:
- As part of the Web Rangers programme, all learners are expected to take part in the campaign competition.The campaign video must relate to the three themes:
- – Fighting Disinformation
- – Children use the internet to make SA a better place
- – Creating a safer online space for all
- Should a learner drop out of the programme or be expelled by MMA and partners, they forfeit their right to participate in the competition and any prize awarded.
- The competition due date will be announced in September 2020.
- The campaign video must not be derogatory, offensive, threatening, defamatory, or contain any content that is inappropriate, sexual, profane, discriminatory in any way, or that promotes hatred or harm against any group or person, or otherwise does not comply with the themes outlined above, as well as the values of the programme.
- The campaign video must be the original, unpublished works of the learner/learners that does not contain, incorporate or otherwise use any content, material or element that is owned by a third party or entity.
- The campaign video must not include any slogan, advertising and promotional material that goes against the values of the programme and supporting partners.
- MMA and partners’ will form part of the judging panel and the decision to award a learner will be based on the Web Rangers criteria. This decision is final.
- There is no cash alternative and the prize must be taken as offered.
*MMA reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entrant who submits
a campaign video that does not meet the campaign requirements.
Media Release Waiver:
Media Monitoring Africa, its staff, volunteers and partners reserves the right to take and use photographs/digital images, videotape, audio recording or quoted remarks from all learners that take part in the programme for use in promotional or educational materials such as printed publications or materials, electronic publications or presentations and web sites.
If you have any questions, contact us on webrangersZA@gmail.com or send us a message here Contact Us
We look forward to having you as part of the 2020 Web Rangers programme.
Web rangers team