This policy covers use and operation of the WebRangers Online Learning Platform and associated website www.webrangers.co,za (“Web Rangers Learning Platform) which is operated, controlled and owned by Media Monitoring Africa (“MMA”).
What is Web Rangers?
Web Rangers is a critical media and digital literacy programme designed to allow young people to gain essential life skills and knowledge around online safety and their digital footprint that they use to create innovative campaigns that promote safe internet usage and champion their rights in the digital world.
The Web Rangers Programme is about creating young digital citizens who know how to use the internet responsibly and encourage their peers to do the same.
The Web Rangers Online Learning Platform allows young people to access the Web Rangers Programme and Curriculum through an online learning platform.
Who is MMA:
The Web Rangers Online Learning Platform including the Web Rangers Programme and Curriculum has been developed by Media Monitoring Africa (“MMA”). We are an independent, non-profit organisation that promotes media freedom, media quality and ethical journalism.
MMA is a Non-Profit Trust registered in South Africa. It is our policy to respect your privacy regarding any information we may collect while operating the Web Rangers Online Learning Platform.
MMA takes privacy seriously.
- we don’t collect personal information unless we truly need it;
- we don’t share personal information with anyone except to ensure that we can properly process your complaint, comply with the law and/or protect our rights;
What information we collect when you access the Web Rangers Online Learning Platform:
We access the following User Personal Information (data):
- your email address;
- your full name; and
- your date of Birth
As well as determine the language in which you wish to engage (the default is English).
You also have an option to share your Social Media Handles / profile links with us as well as the Country in which you reside (the default is South Africa) – if you do, we collect that information.
We collect the following user generated information (This relates to information that is generated by the users interaction with the Web Rangers Learning Platform System and stored on the System): –
- your Course Progression Tracking;
- your Learner Assessment Responses (Both Multiple Choice and Open Responses);
- the marks you are awarded; and
- the certificates and badges you are awarded.
We ensure that all your data is securely handled. We only use your information as follows:
- User Personal Information
- is used for appropriately addressing correspondence to the learner and for the issuing of certificates of completion.
- It may also be used by facilitators to perform course / student management functions.
- Badge-Server (Self-hosted badging platform)
- uses the supplied user email address to award the badge on each course completion and is accessible and associated to that specific badge.
- This may be used for audit purposes by Web Ranger Programme staff and necessary administration.
Where is your Information stored?
Your Personal Information is stored in a MySQL database hosted with the Web Rangers Online learning platform. The database is not externally accessible and is not used with any other services / platforms.
What User information is transferred between which platforms?
Your email address is transferred between the Web Rangers Online platform and the self hosted Badge Service when awarding a badge. This is the only information currently being shared between platforms.
What are your Rights?
The right to access:
- You have the right to obtain information about the processing of your personal data and a copy of any of your personal data that MMA stores.
The right to restrict or object to processing:
- You have the right to restrict or object to our processing if we are processing your data based on legitimate interests or performance of a task in the public interest as an exercise of official authority (including profiling) or processing your data for purposes of scientific or historical research and statistics.
The right to lodge a complaint:
- If you think we have processed your personal information unfairly or unlawfully, or we have not complied with your rights under law, you have the right to complain to our national data protection authority, the Information Regulator. Contact details for the Information Regulator, our data protection authority is available here.
For the purpose of this clause, “personal information” shall be defined as detailed in the Protection of Personal Information Act, No 4 of 2013.
Like most website operators, MMA collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. MMA’s purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information is to better understand how visitors use the Web Rangers website and Online Learning Platform. From time to time, MMA may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Web Rangers Online Learning Platform.
MMA also collects potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.
Certain Users Rights under GDPR
In this section, “European Data Protection Legislation” means all applicable legislation relating to data protection in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), including the EU General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (“GDPR”) and all laws adapted under or replacing the GDPR. Where this Policy uses terms specially defined in the GDPR, the GDPR definitions apply.
If the GDPR applies to you, your specific rights are listed at the end of this Policy. If you are a resident of the EEA or Switzerland, the following applies for purposes of processing and legal basis for processing personal information:
As explained above, we process personal information in various ways depending upon your use of the Web Rangers Online Learning Platform.
We process personal information on the following legal bases:
- with your consent;
- as necessary to provide the Web Rangers Programme to you; and
- as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing services where those interests do not override your fundamental rights and freedoms related to data privacy.
Individual Rights: If you are a resident of the EEA or Switzerland, you have certain rights under the GDPR. To verify your identity, we might need you to provide us with personal data prior to accessing any records containing information about you.
- The right to access: You have the right to obtain information about our processing of your personal data and a copy of your personal data that we store.
- The right to rectify your data: You have the right to request that we update your personal data if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- The right to request data erasure: You have the right to have your personal information erased from our files if the data is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, you withdraw your consent and no other legal basis for our processing your data exists, or your fundamental rights to data privacy and protection outweigh our legitimate interest in continuing our processing.
- The right to restrict or object to processing: You have the right to restrict or object to our processing if we are processing your data based on legitimate interests or performance of a task in the public interest as an exercise of official authority (including profiling) or processing your data for purposes of scientific or historical research and statistics
- The right to lodge a complaint: If you think we have processed your personal data unfairly or unlawfully, or we have not complied with your rights under GDPR, you have the right to complain to a national data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities are available here.
- To submit any request to us under the GDPR, please contact us at the address in the next paragraph for more information.
Name: William Bird
Organisation: Media Monitoring AfricaEmail: firstname.lastname@example.org